About the project

I was inspired to tell the story "8mile" staring Eminem, in a new way using Flickr and other social media sites, and through my friends and family who are all from the Metro Detroit area, I wanted to tell the story through their eyes. The guidelines are simple. 1: find photos of Detroit MI at any of these locations. Shelter/St. Andrews, Detroit stamp factory, Woodward, 8 mile road, Eastern market, Chin Tiki (don't know if it still exists), abandon homes, and any photo of downtown D. 2: type a story about the photo's. 3: send it to noah.says@gmail.com When all is said and done, I am expecting to have enough photos and stories that resonate with the actual film locations from the movie, and using the audience to tell their experiences with these locations.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Noah Simon

Location: The Shelter (below Saint Andrews) 431 East Congress Street
Detroit, MI 48226

I remember the first concert that I attended on my own, now certainly my FIRST concert was not by my choice, I was a young child and my parents dragged me along.
The first show I remember attending was back in 2002, I was a junior in high school developing my own taste in music. One of my friends RJ had heavy influence on what I popped into the CD player of my car. The band that I (for better lack of words) fell in love with was Taking Back Sunday. Keep in mind, the year was 2002, that was way before this band went main stream.
The concert venue was in downtown Detroit, about a 30 minute drive down I-75. The venue name was the Shelter. The Shelter is located in the basement of St. Andrews hall, which was, at one time, a church, now converted into two music venues. What's interesting about the two venues, is the big time bands played upstairs, and the hardworking, struggling, touring non stop bands played in the Shelter. This was due to the size of the venues, the Shelter could really only hold around 75-100 people before it started getting really uncomfortable.
The lights dropped and the bands started performing. Still to this day, I have never been to a better show! The stage is so close to where the audience stands you were practically performing with them. It was the mixture of the bands passion that was exploding out of the PA system, and the intimate setting that the shelter provided.
My advice, if you visit Detroit, go to the Shelter, no matter what type of show may be playing. The movie 8 mile did a great job portraying the magic that is held inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment